Proper fueling for any workout is essential to not only feeling well, but also getting the best results. Here is a list of some of my favorite foods to bring on long runs as well as a few helpful tips to avoid losing stamina.
- Energy gels- GU Energy, Clif Shot, and Honey Stinger, Huma
- Energy chews- Gatorade, GU Energy, Clif Shot Blocks, Honey Stinger
- Bars- Clif, Jete, homemade
- Apple sauce/ fruit squeeze
- Sport beans and waffles are fun too
- Drink lots of water, especially before you head out!
- Bring a drink that contains electrolytes & have some about every 45 minutes
- Do NOT wait until race day to figure out what works for you and your body!
During a race or a long training day I try to drink every three miles and eat at least every hour. Sometimes you truly will not feel like it. Maybe you aren’t thirsty and you’re still feeling invigorated from the Clif bar you ate before you left, but if you let your tank go completely empty, you will have a very difficult time filling back up. So, it’s better to force yourself to set a routine to eat and drink rather than to just play it by ear. If you wait too long, it could be too late.
Aside from your runs themselves, Yael Lipton wrote an excellent article about what you should be consuming in your diet beginning two weeks out from race day. As the saying goes: you are what you eat. Make sure it’s something that will leave you feeling healthy and energized. Workouts are much more enjoyable that way. 🙂